5 Monday Morning Inspirations
Dr. Shonta Smith presents 5 NEW Monday Morning Inspirations, which she began writing in 2011. After writing a number of these she created the book The Essence of Education: Daily Meditation for the Soul. Every Monday she sends them out to many engaged parents and dedicated educators to get them to think about making a difference.
Below are latest 5 Monday Morning Inspirations from Dr. Shonta Smith; we believe will make a difference in your daily walk through life!
1. Monday Morning Inspiration: Have you ever taken time to reflect and think about how people’s lives are different based upon their circumstances, communities they live in, and/or the choices they make? I mean think about it for a minute. When you look at your life and compare it to the next person what can you do that the other person cannot? What opportunities are afforded to you that are not afforded to the other person? How is the lens you look through different from the other person’s lens? What have you learned from the other person? How will you use what you have learned from the other person to improve your life? Why is your life the way it is and the other person’s life the way it is? The answers to these questions will vary as it depends upon a number of variables. However, the one commonality is we all are humans and have free will.
I reflected this weekend as I engaged in a number of activities. I decided to go to another bank to pay my mortgage instead of the one I normally go to as this bank was in the direction that I was headed. This bank was located in the inner city. Unlike other banks, when you go to the counter to speak with a bank teller, the bank tellers at this bank are behind bullet proof glass. Now for members of this community this scene is normal. If you go to the post office, the check cashing place, gas station, or the subway restaurant just to name a few everyone is behind bullet proof glass. This disturbs me. It may not disturb you, but when I was standing in the line, I was thinking and saying to myself what has this world come to. The bank was put in the community to serve the people. Unfortunately, years ago the bank was robbed several times and as a result of multiple robberies bullet proof glass was insulted.
This has become customary in far too many urban inner cities across the United States. Unless you are a member of these communities and/or frequent the businesses in these communities, it may be somewhat difficult for you to understand how people in these communities accept this. People that live in these communities accept it because in their world this is their reality. I have a choice. I only went to this particular bank branch because it was in route to my destination. A number of members of this community don’t have the same choice. This saddens me because although the bank is protecting its assets, it is also dehumanizing the people that live in this community. Again, I have a choice and some of you may be saying they have a choice too. But their choices are not equivalent to my choices as their circumstances are different. This week I ask that you be mindful of the choices you have. Respect and appreciate what you can do. Realize and be grateful for the opportunities provided to you. Finally, if you are in a position to help someone help them. We all reap what we sow. So be careful to sow diligently.
2. Monday Morning Inspiration: How do you define success? I want you to really think about this as success comes in many forms. What you see as a success may not be a success to someone else. What that person sees as a success may not be success to you. Success is in the eye of the beholder. The common trait that comes with success is action. If one does not take action the likely hood of them experiencing success is slim. Success just does not come to you. It requires productivity, active engagement, focus, and leadership. To experience success you must focus on the task at hand and actively be engaged in what you are doing. If you are not engaged you are not focused, and when you are not focused, you lag in productivity and leadership.
In essence how you lead your life will determine what successes you experience. Leading in its purest form is how you direct and guide yourself as well as others. When you reflect on your own leadership, have you lead in such a way whereby you embody the spirit of excellence. When executing excellence, you successfully empower yourself. This empowerment enables you to fully understand the success and embrace your free will. Your free will offers opportunities and as these opportunities present themselves, you exemplify success. You understand that each day you have a chance to be great as you are destined for greatness. Your greatness is not based upon what other people do it is based upon the action you take and how you lead your life. So the question I ask you is how are you leading your life? Is what you are doing making a difference? Can other people positively benefit from your actions? Do your actions advance growth and development? Success is what you make it and if what you are doing is not conducive to progress you are cheating yourself.
It is time to make the rest of your life the best of your life. Stop reflecting on the past and move pass all the negativity. Do what you know is right and make the necessary changes and adjustments. Your success depends on your ability to be you. It depends on your ability to live, love, appreciate and enjoy you. You and you alone are capable of making your life the best life. There is no need to compare yourself to anyone else. You only need to compare what you did today to what you did yesterday. As you compare the days, if today is not better than yesterday you still have time to make it better. Be the change you want to see by being the best you can be. Honor who you are and embrace your talents and abilities. Success is when you honor you and love you. Do you honor yourself and love yourself enough to experience success?
3. Monday Morning Inspiration: One thing that distinguishes us from other animals is we have free will. The question we all need to ask ourselves is do we have the will to be the best we can be. Are we willing to do what is necessary? Is our will strong enough for us to fully commit to excellence? Start living today as if your life depended on it. Live each day to the fullest because once the day is gone it can never come back again. You only have one life and the choices you make dictate how you live your life. How have the choices you made impacted your life? As you reflect on those choices what can you do today to make tomorrow better? Start by picking one to three goals. Make sure the goals are specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound. Write the goals down on sticky note paper and put the sticky notes on your bathroom mirror. Each morning as you prepare for your day say the goals out loud three times. As you say the goals look at yourself in the mirror and say it with conviction. Know that if you truly believe it you will achieve it. You must speak your goals into existence. By speaking your goals, you stimulate the mind and the mind motivates the body and soul. The mind will lead the body and the body will take action. Once action is taken, the soul will transcend. As the mind, body and soul come into full alignment your goals will manifest themselves; because you had the will to make your goals real. Real recognizes real and when you are real with yourself everything else falls in place.
4. Monday Morning Inspiration: Can you say it all starts with me? Whatever is going on in your life is a result of the action you took or the action you did not take. There comes a point in time where you have to look at what you are doing and evaluate how it impacts your life. If what you are doing is beneficial to your overall growth and development, it would be wise to continue doing it. However, if what you are doing is not in your best interest, it would be wise to stop doing it and take the necessary steps to change. Change happens naturally, but as human beings we impede the process of change because it causes pain. When an individual lacks understanding instead of embracing discomfort, they run away. Running away hinders progress, and by running away the problem never goes away it just lingers. This results in the individual resorting back to doing what they feel most comfortable doing even when they know engaging in the behavior is destructive.
Again, I say it all starts with me. When you say me, you cannot point the finger at anyone else but yourself. Self-reflection is a must if one is looking to grow. When you do not take to time to reflect you become stagnant. When one is inactive, there is no movement and without movement you go nowhere fast. In essence, you simply are standing by watching time pass you by. Time waits for no one so if you truly desire to be the best you can be, you must take the necessary steps. Talking about it won’t make it happen, and dreaming about it means you are fast asleep. You’ve got to be wide awake in the here and now. You’ve got to own the moment and take advantage of the opportunities that lay in front of you. Until you decide to take action everything will remain the same. Once you have the courage and will move, your life will forever be changed. While this gesture appears to be simple, if it were that simple everyone would be willing to change. There is nothing simple about being the best you can be. Being your best is work, and if your work ethic is piss poor, you are piss poor. What are you willing to do today to be the best you can be?
5. Monday Morning Inspiration: Truth be told we all are afraid of something. However, if you want to be where you need to be and do what you are destine to do, you must push pass your fear. Fear has a strong hold on you, and you don’t even know why. You have allowed fear to be part of your living quarters for so long it has become part of your being. Every time you attempt to step out on faith and live your dream fear creeps in. It comes in various forms so don’t let it fool you. Today it could be you talking yourself out of taking the next step. It can be your husband, wife, or best friend telling you to forget about it because you have waited too long. It can be a pain in your side that you get from making yourself believe that you are not worthy. It can be a number of things, but one thing for sure as long as you allow it stay in your house it will remain.
It’s time to take a walk with fear. It’s time to let fear know that it has worn out its welcome. It’s time to say good bye and never let it allow you to be so afraid that you settle. Why are you settling? Why have you allowed fear to control you? Why have you given fear so much power? Take that power back, and begin to start anew. Greatness is upon you and you better act like it. I see that smile on your face. I see that glow in your essence. I see all that you are meant to be. I see you embracing what’s next. I see you envisioning your success. I see you experiencing all that life has to offer you. I see you loving you, honoring you, respecting you and appreciating you. I see you.
Now I need you to stand in the mirror and see yourself. Look at yourself and honor where you are and who you are. Don’t make excuses. Don’t walk away just stand there breathing in and out reflecting on your past, enjoying the present and seeing what the future holds. As you breathe out release all fear. As you breathe in opportunities arise. You place your feet on solid ground stand tall, walk with integrity, distinction, and prosperity. You walk fear to the door and tell it I fear you no more; your presence is no longer needed. Fear leaves and greatness begins. You are the “Essence of Education” from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet you transcend excellence.